Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Little Bit About Me

Thanks for reading my Blog. I thought it would be appropriate for my first official post to share some information about my family. I'll apologize in advance, because I've been known to talk in great detail about my wife and children. I guess that I can't hide how much joy they bring to my life, and I always find myself sharing the fun stories associated with a life that includes 10, 5, and 2 year-old children. Parenthood is the best "job" in the world. Where else can you work 24/7/365? Where else do you combine moments of pure elation with those of serious frustration? All kidding aside, one of the biggest gifts of parenthood is that I'm confident its made me a better person and a better educator.
On to Middle School life here at PDS. It would be an understatement to say that middle school kids are energetic because they clearly possess something more than simply energy...maybe boundless energy would be a better description. I have always enjoyed my time here at PDS working primarily 9th graders in the upper school, but there is something truly special about middle school children here. Over and over, I find myself commenting to colleagues and family (my entire family is involved in education) about how nice middle school kids are, and how they really do combine the best of both worlds...the enthusiasm and ability to dream big like lower schoolers and the thoughtfulness and independence of upper schoolers. This is not to say that there aren't "bumps in the road," but its to be expected given the emotional and physical changes that they are undergoing. This leads me to my 2nd point...the teachers and staff here at PDS who work with our middle school students.
This is truly a special group...just ask the middle school kids. ALL of the conversations I've had with students about middle school teachers and advisers include statements like "I love my teachers, " or "my advisor is really nice." They provide our young people with the perfect combination of love, consistency, and structure leaving the students feeling safe and appreciated at all times.
Thanks again for reading. Please feel free to leave comments and call (704-887-6097) or e-mail (mike.boyer@providenceday.org) if you have any questions or concerns about middle school life at PDS.

2 comments:

  1. we're all looking forward to a great year, Mike! and, you have a lovely family! best, the Bruns family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for following. I appreciate your kind words. Take care,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete